PHASE II – HOW DO WE GET RID OF COMMON CORE??
You’ve talked to your Bishop, superintendent, principal, other parents, pastors… you’ve written letters, petitions, emails and had forums… and you’ve tried to do some things on our Take Action Now page. Is there anything else that can be done? There is so much more than Common Core… NOW WHAT?
Take back Catholic Education at Your School-
*OFFER A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE!*
This pursuit to save Catholic Education came about through the fear of the entrance of Common Core in our Catholic schools. But you have probably quickly realized that it is much more than Common Core standards. The danger lies in the systemic secularization of Catholic education – through textbooks, technology, assessments, all services provided to Catholic schools via Title I (ESEA), state standards in general, accreditation, and in PA, the intermediate units, which seem to represent regionalism and where they appear to be virtually unaccountable with big budgets.
There is so much to tackle; how does one go about breaking through this system to really change the transformation that is taking place? Perhaps there is a simple answer… REPLACE IT ALL WITH SOMETHING TRULY CATHOLIC. MAKE A REAL PROPOSAL to transform your school into a Classical School. It has been done before in the country with positive results: increased enrollment, a renewed love for teaching, a deeper understanding of the purpose of Catholic education.
Read the articles to the right about schools that have transformed into Classical schools. You will be moved.
**We have realized that most parents we speak to about Common Core have never heard of Classical Catholic education….It simply doesn’t exist in this system. It really seems like no one is speaking about the beauty of this traditional and TRUE form of education. This is not their fault though. How many parents were ever presented with this alternative? What have we been paying for if not true Catholic Education? **
When a friend and mother was sent articles about Classical Catholic education and its beautiful impact on a child and teacher and school, this mother was in tears, and said “I must have this now for my daughter – it is so beautiful! – why can’t we have this?” Yes – why can’t we?
Thus – we have the next phase in this battle…we must start educating other parents, our pastors, principals and teachers on Classical Catholic Education. This page can help get you started. You don’t have to carry the Load – there are groups that can help your school do this. Your Principal would not have to do this alone. The resources are out there!!
To the right are Links that walk through Classical
education in different ways – they help tell the story.
1) Make a packet of some of these articles and links to the right and write a letter to your principal explaining this form of education and how you would like to discuss the opportunity it could present to your school. **Also, provide this same package to your school board (if there is one) and/or PTA group. Everyone needs to be seeing the same information. Give to other families at the school.
2) Meet with your principal AND pastor to discuss these ideas. Form a committee.
3) Obtain approval for, create, and perform a survey at your school with the entire parent/student body asking about their thoughts, needs, and ideas about Catholic education (thereby confirming that it could be much more then what it is at your school).
4) Contact Institute for Catholic Liberal Education. Use their resources available.
5) Contact other principals or schools who have successfully transformed to Classical education.
6) Propose that your principal, superintendent, and teachers attend a Classical education conference (hosted by Institute for Classical Liberal Education during the summer.
This may involve fundraising efforts.
7) Present alternative textbooks that are not secular or paid for by the state.
The process to change it back must start somewhere – and it seems that it must start back at the Local SCHOOL LEVEL – the dialogue MUST begin here and shift. If your principal cannot help you, or needs to ask the Diocese, then let it bubble up! Let your proposal rise up and get answers as to WHY NOT? In the Diocese of Pittsburgh, Principals do have the freedom to adapt their schools.
The only way CC and the secular ideals of progressives in education can be destroyed is if they are replaced with SOMETHING else that is TRUE, GOOD, AND BEAUTIFUL!
ADULT FORMATION OF FAITH
Catholic Distance University
Catholic Distance University,
institute in the United States to
award Catechetical Diploma and
teach the Faith to adults using
correspondence courses exclusively.
Alternative Catholic schools in Cleveland Diocese Classical Catholic Education
Luke A. Macik, J.D.
Headmaster – The Lyceum
Tabor House, Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish
1556 South Green Road
South Euclid, Ohio 44121
The Lyceum: Classical Catholic Education Co-educational College Prep School Grades 6-12
Padre Pio Academy
12920 Madison Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44107
Pope Pius XII – Servant of God
Papal Encyclical – “Humani Generis”
August 12, 1950
Articles about the richness of Classical Catholic education and schools that have transformed and embraced it:
“Trust all things to Jesus
in The Blessed Sacrament
and to Mary, Help of Christians,
and you will see what Miracles are.”
St. John Bosco
Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton
Established the first Catholic School
in the nation at Emmitsburg, Maryland
Founded first American congregation of
Religious Sisters, the Sisters of Charity